Joy’s Top Five Pantry Staples:
These are the pantry staples in my home that I’ve been using for many years. They are amazing, high-quality products that I have used as nutritious ingredients for cooking and baking as well as home remedies for common ailments.
- Kuzu (or kudzu) is a medicinal root that is used as a thickener instead of flour or arrowroot powder. You can use it the same way as flour by making a roux: add kuzu to a few ounces of soup or water, mix well and add to the full pot to thicken. You can also mix kuzu with apple juice, heat it up and drink to bring down a fever! It works well with picky kids, and it’s a lot healthier than loading up on Tylenol or Motrin. Kuzu can also be used to ease menopausal symptoms, regulate glucose levels and reduce inflammation.
- Ume Boshi plum is a type of plum from Japan that is prepared with shiso leaves. It is salty and sour and can be used as a preservative. I carry these plums with me whenever I travel because it treats many ailments like stomach aches, headaches and indigestion. For a long plane ride snack, I like to make brown rice balls wrapped in Nori seaweed with a small piece of ume boshi plum inside, rolled in sesame seeds.
- Coconut oil is amazing to have around. My favorite one is made by Tropical Traditions. It is antiviral, antibacterial, and it has medium-chain fatty acids that we all need for good brain health. Coconut oil is so versatile for use in cooking and baking. I tell people to swab their kids’ noses and ears daily with coconut oil to prevent them from picking up bacteria and viruses that cause illnesses. Best prevention ever.
- Almond flour is a favorite ingredient of mine for both sweet and savory use. I use it instead of breadcrumbs on chicken and fish, and I also substitute it for regular flour in muffins and cakes.
- Shore Magic collagen is my absolute favorite kitchen staple (no surprise there!). You can add Shore Magic to coffee, soups, eggs, muffins, smoothies or anything else you can think of. 2 scoops, 1 pure ingredient, countless benefits. Shore Magic helps your skin glow and your hair grow, and it supports every system of the body and all vital organs. The best part is the calm and focus it brings to your life. Let’s not forget the beautiful packaging that makes it easy to leave on your kitchen counter, so you remember to take it! Feel the Magic! 💫
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Shore Magic Collagen vegan?
No, Shore Magic Collagen is not vegan, but it’s 100% organic collagen powder. Our marine collagen powder is sustainably sourced from wild fish skins from pristine waters.
Does Shore Magic Collagen support hair growth?
Yes, Shore Magic is a premium marine collagen powder and it’s the best collagen powder for hair growth because it’s rich in the amino acid proline, the main component of keratin. Collagen helps to strengthen hair follicles, which can prevent hair loss and thinning. It also helps to improve the elasticity of our hair, making it less prone to breakage and split ends. Adding collagen powder to your daily routine can make a big difference in the overall health and appearance of your hair.
Why is Shore Magic Collagen the best collagen for skin health?
Shore Magic Collagen is 100% pure collagen, with no added ingredients or fillers. It’s been tested by a third party and certified hypoallergenic. What sets Shore Magic apart from other collagen supplements out there is that it’s superior bioavailability.
It can be up to 95% absorbed by the body, unlike your average collagen source, like those from pigs or cows. That means it can work better and faster to give you the benefits you're looking for.