Chances are you’ve experienced the following conundrum. You worked out yesterday, and it felt great. Congrats! But this morning…ouch! Your muscles aren’t saying thank you. Avoid this uncomfortable, stiff scenario the next time you work out by keeping the following eight tips in mind.
- Stretch it out. After a workout, your muscles and connective tissue can become knotted, leading to soreness the next day. Keep your muscles happy by never skimping on a full-body stretch after your sweat session. Foam rolling and massages also aid in soothing those knots. Don’t be discouraged if the foam rolling process is a little uncomfortable! You’ll feel better the next day.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is the time when your body gets to rest and heal after a long day, especially when you’ve been working out. Many studies suggest a positive correlation between recovery and performance and sufficient sleep.
- Eat your fruits and veggies. Your mom’s advice during childhood still holds true! Fruits and vegetables contain valuable nutrients and antioxidants that will consistently aid your body’s healing process.
- Keep hydrating. When you’re moving and sweating, water intake is key for replenishing your body and keeping your electrolytes up. Be sure to drink water before, during and after your workout. Natural beverages like coconut water contain electrolytes that can also boost your hydration.
- Balanced snacking. While protein is of course key to building muscle and losing fat, your body still needs some carbohydrates for quick nutrition. After your workout, have a small snack that contains a combination of protein and high fiber carbs.
- Listen to music. It comes as no surprise that listening to upbeat tunes can help you stay motivated and power through a challenging exercise routine. Conversely, listening to songs with a slower tempo after you work out can help reduce your pulse rate and blood pressure.
- Turn on the cold tap. It may make you wince, but many researchers and athletes attest to the power of a cold shower or bath after a strenuous workout. It’ll work to reduce inflammation and soreness.
- Shore Magic! Last but certainly not least, make sure to incorporate your daily two tablespoons of Shore Magic collagen powder into your post-workout snack. Shore Magic blends perfectly into smoothies, protein shakes, yogurts and more. Shore Magic collagen can help your strength, endurance and recovery. It can help your body heal and rebuild muscle, bone and connective tissue.